Back in 2004, three Canadian friends decided to open an online store selling snowboarding equipment and eventually created Shopify, the world’s most famous e-commerce platform.
The story sounds fictional, but it’s true.
Today, no e-commerce podcast, interview or debate would be complete without a mention of Shopify. Growing from an online snowboarding store to an eCommerce ecosystem, Shopify officially launched in 2006. The platform has evolved with the online sales challenges facing merchants, and today it is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms powering millions of businesses worldwide.
In this article, I will uncover some interesting facts and statistics about Shopify.
The Shopify statistics provided here will answer some of the questions you’re curious about.
Shopify Statistics and Facts 2023: Essential Insights for Online Retailers
- Shopify was created by three Canadian friends and was launched in 2006.
- As of January 2023, Shopify powered more than 4.5 million live websites.
- There are 8000+ Shopify apps on the official Shopify app store, which adds more functionalities and features to the online stores.
- In Shopify unite 2022, Shopify announced YouTube shopping to bring commerce, content, and community together.
- Shopify is the most famous eCommerce platform in the United States, with a market share of 30%, with over 2.5 million websites built on it.
- Currently, there are more than 25,000 live sites running on Shopify Plus.
- Shopify generated over $4.6 billion in revenue in the year 2021.
- Shopify contributed $319 billion to Global economic activity.
- 81% of the traffic on the Shopify stores comes from mobile devices.
- The average order value for Shopify is $84.
1. Shopify Market Share
Ever wondered about the popularity of Shopify?
We all know it is a highly popular eCommerce platform amongst online store owners, but how popular is it? The Shopify statistics show that it is one of the top eCommerce platforms, with WooCommerce Checkout holding the number 1 position and Squarespace the second.
The eCommerce platform statistics show that the total market share of Shopify and Shopify plus combined is 11.2%, which means 1 out of 10 eCommerce stores are built on Shopify.
2. Number of Shopify Stores (Global & Country-wise)
We all know that Shopify is a popular eCommerce platform, but have you ever wondered how many Shopify stores are there?
There are over 4.4 million live websites currently running on the Shopify platform, including 25000+ live sites using Shopify Plus. Out of which, over 2.5 million stores are from the United States only. That means 1 out of 3 Shopify stores is from the U.S.
That makes it an eCommerce platform trusted by millions of businesses! 🙂
Shopify is a beloved eCommerce platform for all sizes of businesses, including small merchants to leading brands. Many leading brands, such as Redbull, BBC, Gymshark, Hasbro, Nescafe, Staples, and Tesla, use it.
3. Shopify Growth Statistics (Year-Wise)
Launched in 2006, the eCommerce platform has witnessed tremendous growth in its user base in the last few years. According to one report available on the internet, the number of Shopify store users tripled during the Covid-19 pandemic, resulting in an annual growth rate of more than 200% from 2020 to 2022.
The chart below displays the number of Shopify stores from 2012 to 2022.
That’s tremendous growth! We must admit that.
4. Shopify Plus Statistics
In 2014, Shopify launched Shopify Plus with extensive features and functionalities for larger businesses and brands with heavy eCommerce operations. Only top brands and larger businesses use it.
But how many Shopify Plus stores are there?
Currently, over 25000 live sites are running on Shopify Plus.
|Country||Shopify Plus Stores|
|United States of America||15380|
5. Top Business Verticals Using Shopify
Shopify is a versatile eCommerce platform suitable for businesses of all types. The platform houses online stores for different industries, from apparel to pets & animals.
We know shoppers are crazy about discovering new fashion trends and buying clothes online. Fashion & Apparel is the most popular business vertical using Shopify for online selling, followed by Home & Garden and Beauty & Fitness. Data shows that more than 27% of the Shopify stores fall in the Apparel niche, which means that at least 1 out of 4 Shopify stores is into selling clothes and fashion apparel. Provided below is the table showing the top business verticals using Shopify.
|Business Category||The number of Shopify Stores (Approx.)|
|🥻 Women’s Clothing||33,298|
|🏠 Home Decor||30,229|
|🥗 Groceries and Food||26,195|
|🛌 Bed and Bathroom||22,285|
6. Top Shipping Carriers for Shopify in the United States
Delivering the products quickly and safely to the customers is essential for any online selling business. Many well-known shipping service providers in the United States deliver products to customers’ doorsteps.
But which shipping carrier is popular amongst the Shopify stores? Which shipping carrier is highly preferred by most Shopify businesses?
- USPS, UPS, and FedEx are some of the top shipping carriers used by Shopify stores in the United States.
- Over 15.2% of the Shopify stores in the United States use the United States Postal Services for delivering products to their customers.
Some of the widely used shipping carriers by the Shopify stores in the United States are tabulated below:
7. Shopify Revenue Statistics
The way Shopify has expanded its business is just incredible. The company went public in 2015 through an initial public offering of around $130.9 million.
Shopify has remained a profit-making company with exponential revenue and net worth growth. According to the latest quarterly report released by Shopify, the company generated a revenue of $2498 Million in the first two quarters of 2022. The historical data for Shopify’s revenue from the year 2012 to 2021 is provided in the chart below.
8. Shopify Apps Statistics
The apps are an essential part of the online stores running on the Shopify platform, which fills the functionality gaps. The official Shopify store houses more than 8000 apps that store owners can add to their store for extended features. It is also reported that 80% of the Shopify store owners use 3rd party apps, which are developed by third-party Shopify app developers, in their store for custom functionalities.
Some interesting statistics and facts about Shopify apps are:
- Currently, there are 8,639 apps in the Shopify App Store.
- More than 5,462 vendors have listed their apps on the Shopify app store.
- Product Reviews is the most popular app on the Shopify app store, which is installed on 21.0% of the stores.
- Shopify Inbox is the second most popular Shopify app installed in 13.3% of stores.
The list provided below shows some of the most popular Shopify apps:
|Klaviyo: Email Marketing & SMS||240,461|
|Mailchimp: Email Marketing||161,243|
|Judge.me Product Reviews||137,975|
|Loox Product Reviews & Photos||127,935|
|Instafeed – Instagram Feed||127,425|
|Printful: Print on Demand||122,287|
9. Shopify Traffic & Sales Statistics
Today, we live in a mobile-first world, where customers want to shop from their mobile devices. The reason — it is convenient. According to the resources, 81% of traffic and 71% of orders on Shopify stores were coming through mobile devices in the third quarter of 2019.
Over the years, the share of mobile device traffic has increased significantly compared to desktop ones. Therefore, making it is imperative for businesses to focus on leveraging mobile experiences for their Shopify store.
- According to one survey conducted in September 2022, the average order value for Shopify stores was $84.
- Shopify stores represent over 10% of US eCommerce sales.
- The official Shopify website had more than 58 million visits in 2020.
Looking at the conversion rates of Shopify stores, data suggest that traffic from Email campaigns has the highest conversion rate of 4.29%. The average conversion rate of Shopify stores for organic traffic stands at 3.04%. The following chart can provide more details about the Shopify conversion rate statistics.
10. Success Rate of Shopify Stores
Shopify is an easy-to-use and cost-effective method to create online storefronts and sell online. This allowed anyone with little knowledge about online selling to enter the highly competitive eCommerce world. The result is as expected — a high failure rate!
There is no official data on the success rate of the Shopify stores. The success rate of eCommerce stores is estimated to be only 10%, meaning only 1 out of 10 online businesses survive. It is also estimated that most online stores fail within 120 days of launch.
The success rate of eCommerce stores built on the Shopify platform is estimated to be between 5% to 10%. Most of the common reasons why online businesses fail include the following:
- Poor marketing
- Lack of SEO
- Low market demand
- Budget constraints
- Pricing Issues
Therefore, it is essential for store owners to plan their business strategies for a successful online business. If you are a Shopify store owner, you can use our Shopify SEO Services and see your online business flourish with more organic traffic. We help online businesses drive success through our extensive experience.
Commonly Asked Questions on Shopify
1. How many Shopify stores are there?
Ans. As of January 2023, more than 4.4 million live websites are running on the Shopify platform.
2. What is the average Shopify store revenue?
Ans. The average Shopify store revenue per customer is $72, which is $226 for the top 10% of the online stores built on Shopify.
3. What is the net income of Shopify?
Ans. The net income of Shopify for the year 2021 was reported as $2.915 billion.
4. How many employees does Shopify have?
Ans. More than 10,000 employees are working for Shopify.
5. What are some of the largest companies using Shopify?
Ans. Some of the biggest brands using Shopify for their online business are:
- Rebecca Minkoff
- Victoria Beckham Beauty
- Red Bull
- PepsiCo (PantryShop)
- Whole Foods Market
6. What are some of the top Shopify stores by revenue?
Ans. Some of the most successful Shopify stores that generate millions of revenue are Kylie Cosmetics, ColourPop, Steve Madden, Pura Vida, Allbirds, Fashion Nova, Gymshark, and Bombas.
Leave A Comment